Teraz, dalszy ciąg Pogaduszek tutaj:
http://maria-mojawizjazdrowia.blogspot.com/

poniedziałek, 21 grudnia 2009

Polish Christmas Wafer - Oplatek

Photo:Wikipedia

Sharing of the oplatek (pronounced opwatek) is the most ancient and beloved of all Polish Christmas traditions. Oplatek is a thin wafer made of flour and water, similar in taste to the hosts that are used for communion during Mass. The Christmas wafer is shared before Wigilia, the Christmas Eve supper. The head of the household usually starts by breaking the wafer with his wife and then continues to share it with everyone at the Wigilia table. Wishes for peace and prosperity are exchanged and even the pets and farm animals are given a piece of oplatek on Christmas Eve. Legend has it that if animals eat oplatek on Christmas Eve, they will be able to speak in human voices at midnight, but only those who are pure of spirit will be able to hear them.

This tradition dates back many centuries when a thin, flat bread called podplomyk was baked over an open flame and then shared with the family gathered around the fire on Christmas Eve. Patterns would be cut onto the bread to make breaking easier. This is why oplatki today still have patterns on them, usually of Nativity scenes.

from: Polish women

11 komentarzy:

Keshi pisze...

yum! :)

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to u too Maria MWAH!

TC
Love
Keshi.

Jimmy pisze...

oooohhhh
Huggss Keshi
kisses

and more Huggs

Jimmy pisze...

Ohh Sorry Maria
all the kisses and huggss I saved for u

I gave to Keshi
but dont go away

I will be back soon with another bag full

Jimmy pisze...

Heyyy Keshi
if u meet Devika give some of the kisses I gave u to Devika

inspirações da Jô pisze...

My dear and loved friend Maria,
I come here to always thank you affection with me and also I wish a lot of love, peace and happiness in your Christmas and that it continues like this always sweet and kind, you are beautiful inside and on the outside, a rare jewel!!!!!!! I big kiss and a fort hug!!!
I love you my friend!!!!!!!!

Iphigenia pisze...

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year...the Polish traditions are beautiful...all the best!!!! xo

Jimmy pisze...

Heyyy Maria
come to India
where the cows eat hay
and we drive auto rickshaws all day
and the girls are nice

but thay are covered with 14 yard saris

and by the time u uncover them
u have lost it

terrific cuntry India
my friend

Jimmy pisze...

for the good times Keshi
kiss my buttocks

- Luda Krishna

Jorgelina pisze...

The family is the most beautiful present for Christmas. I wish you a Christmas full of love!

Unknown pisze...

Hi Maria,
Just stopping by to wish you a Happy New Year. I love that music video and what you shared. Lovely.
Happy New Year to your and your family.

Karen

Anonimowy pisze...

Dear Maria, Merry christmas. I love the tradition of the Christmas wafer. We celebrate it in our home too. I wish you and your family the very best in the coming New Year and always. Happy New Year my friend. It has been a joy to know you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Moje 80-te Urodziny/ My 80th Birthday

moje tańce
Try JibJab Sendables® eCards today!